Thursday, February 25, 2010

Caribou meatballs

Photobucket


I love spaghetti and meatballs. But I wanted to do something different. I have had a package of ground caribou I've been saving up from Gene, one of our friends in Alaska. I thought this might be a good time to break it open. I made meatballs pretty much as I would with beef, but I made them a little bit more spicy. I broke up the ground caribou and added bread crumbs and an egg - I didn't measure. I just add it until I think the consistency is correct. But you just need the one egg. I then added, a palm full of garlic powder, a half a palm full of dried minced garlic, some paprika, salt, pepper, and a little oregano.

I baked the meatballs for about 10 minutes in the oven at 425 degrees, and then I pulled them out and just let them simmer in some homemade pasta sauce until I was ready for them.

The pasta sauce I made in the fall with fresh tomatoes and canned, is wonderful. I'll be making a double batch of it this year. It's fresh, tasty, so much better than stuff that comes out of a can, but it's also convenient since it's already made and I just have to open up a jar. Best of both worlds.

Of course you could make these meatballs with some spicy italian sasuage, or ground beef. But Caribou is a yummy treat and the flavour is much better than beef, and it's a lot leaner. They are spicy, so if you don't like spice, back off a little on the amounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment